Brough Ward - History

The Brough Wing was one of the extensions opened on 28th May 1926 by His Royal Highness the Duke of York, later King George VI. The Brough Wing was donated by Joseph W. Brough and cost £6,000 to build but could accommodate an additional 70 children bringing the total number of beds up to 300. At approximately 225 feet long and 30 feet wide the Brough Wing would have been the largest ward in the sanatorium and also one of the latest significant extensions to be made.

Born in Newcastle in 1871 Joseph Brough was a local entrepreneur having established his own chain of wholesale stores at the turn of the century. He had shops across the region and by 1917 had stores as far away as South Yorkshire and his wholesale approach allowed him to sell produce to people in the local communities at a much reduced rate. He was also heavily involved in the Poor Children's Holiday Association and worked closely with the charity until his death in 1958.

Brough made a series of charitable donations and a charitable trust in his name still exists today to help with projects in Northumberland and Durham with a particular interest in Methodist causes. He also contributed to other aspects of the PCHA's work with a holiday home and orphanage in Whickham known as the 'Edith Brough' Holiday Home. In addition a home in South Shields also bore his father's name, the 'Edward Brough' Home, as he too along with his wife had been a long term supporter of and benefactor to the charity. In 1936 a total of 808 children enjoyed stays of between three weeks and three months at these two holiday homes.


Click to Enlarge